Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DIVA

Partial detail from "The Angel's Advocate" digital painting. 

This concept was a depiction of Mariah Carey that was inspired by her Angel's Advocate tour. Originally in 2009 I created watercolor painting of Mariah posed like the statue of liberty and even brought it to the New Years Eve Angel's Advocate concert at Madison Square Garden. I remember holding the painting up during Mariah's performance of "It's Like That" and Mariah spotted me in the audience and fist pumped me while singing and she smiled a beaming smile giving me her approval! I wanted to give the painting to Mariah herself that night and ended up meeting Sherry her backup singer outside who told me where to drop it off for her. 

I never dropped it off because I would've rather gave it to her in person and it is good i didn't because since then i noticed how I wanted to make it better. There were alot of problems with the proportions and I had made Mariah look too cartoony. It did not have the poetic-ness of the statue of liberty that i wanted it to have, nor did it scream divaness to me. So with that being said I did it again. This time as a digital painting using a cheap stylus pen and Wacom drawing tablet, and my photoshop program. So after a month of practically torturing my hands, drawing every single stroke manually, I created my new and improved "Angel's Advocate Painting". 

So am I satisfied? Mostly...except that i still haven't got to give the painting to Mimi. And because of that, I want it to be even better. Next time it's going to be done on huge canvas in all Oil paint. You heard it here first....:)





No comments:

Post a Comment